My expectations for this class is for the you all to learn about things you are interested in.
As a facilitator of the class I do not want to shove boring, inapplicable information down your throats and make learning about relevent social issues a chore. In order to do this I need to be able to check my privilege as a male Chinese college student. Even though I acknowledge this checking my privilege is a group process and sometimes I will not know that I am coming from a place of privilege, which is why an open and mutual learning process is needed. For this class in general I feel like it would be optimal for the traditional barriers of teaching to be blurred. I am learning for you, just as much or more as you are learning from me. For this to be a valuable experience we need your feedback too.
This is the reason for this blogpost, in order to gauge what you want so we can modify how we facililate the class to mold it to something that you find valuable. In the end the ultimate goal is to go at the barriers that prevent us and people in general from having an honest conversation about issue that matter.
I have talked about my interests before. I am interested in economic development within the United States. This question is very complex and goes through many different things like race, class, gender, sexuality etc. It also is related to international and global relations and politics and economic ideologies such as understandings of capitalism and socialism. But in general I am interested in everything and have tried to look and still pursuing lots of different kinds of issues.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
THANK YOU!! i agree with all of what you had to say especially when you said "My expectations for this class is for the you all to learn about things you are interested in."
ReplyDeleteI like that you are intrested in many things incuding economic development.Your blog was very moving.
ReplyDelete