Monday, May 24, 2010

Expectations and What I want to learn about.

My expectations for this class, i shigh. I want to be able to listen and talk when its appropriate. I can sometimes talk a lot but I definitely dont talk at all. That sometimes seems like I am not paying attention or i am participating and that isn’t a good impression. Overall expectations for this class I have is to make sure I also don't talk over people. I don’t like to be rude. In addition to that I also have expectations for my self. Some expectations I have for my self is to make sure everything that is said here stays in the room so confidentiality. I know i wouldnt people to spread things that i said here to other people at school, so I would make sure i dont talk about other people. Some other expectations I have for this class is obviously to follow directions and the rule fro to use the computer lab. Personal expectations I have is to have empathy for others and have respect as well.

On the other hand what i want to learn about in this program is about the different injustice issues in my community. For me, my community consist of the people around that I see constantly and where i usually hang out it isnt necessarily where i live. I don’t hang out a lot where I live at because i go to school in Berkeley and i live in San Pablo (Richmond). In my essay I talked a lot about child abuse, and i am very interested in this topic because i would like to give a call to action for it. However from talking to other people i heard about the central ideas such as environmental issues and the new immigration issue/bill that is trying to be passed in Arizona, and I think it would be cool to listen to other people talk about something that they are somewhat passionate about. I think this class will not only let me learn about things in an academic way but i will also learn about how some of us or well most of us deal with social issues all around us. It seems like it would be a good experience too see one another not only become better researchers but also get dibbs on something that we would like to study for when we get to college.

-Briana.Martinez :)

2 comments:

  1. super tiny font size, but totaly agree...:^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Briana, I am just as excited to learn from you and others about various social issues through the lens of your personal experiences. Like you mentioned, academics and facts are important, but sometimes it is our personal experience that lights our passion to become active community members.

    ReplyDelete